Cassinomagus a Gallo-Roman town composed of temples, a theatre and public spa built in the 1st century. Since 1958 archaeological digs have revealed the most significant spa ruins in Europe. The material used is “breccia stone” from a meteorite that fell 200 million years ago.
To see : fourteen rooms on two levels, seven courtyards, twelve boilers and four swimming pools in a remarkable state of conservation. Site and dig visits, events, exhibitions and discovery activities.
Tél. : 05 45 89 32 21
Website : www.amis.chassenon.free.fr
Lavauguyon The still imposing ruins of Lavauguyon Château date from the 15th and 16th centuries, but its origins are older (12th century). Built on a slope, the fortress dominates the River Tardoire in a remarkable site. In a perfect square, the interior of the Château was made up of two vast dwellings and a large chapel. Abandoned in the 18th century it was dismantled during the 1789 Revolution.
To see : outside, discover the porch of the square keep and the remains of the main precinct’s curtain walls flanked by four corner towers and surrounded by a moat in fairly good condition.
Tél. : M.Malcombe 05 55 48 82 20
E-mail : email@example.com Tel. 05 55 48 81 17
Ladignac le Long
Ladignac Romanesque church possesses an eight-sided, polygonal bell tower, which rises above the choir stalls and is rare for Limousin churches. The transept is large with two small, half-dome vaulted chapels.
To see : the 12th century entrance crowned by a multi-foiled arch with three Limousin-style, splayed arcs, the choir capitals decorated with crouching figures and miniature palms as well as the arched recess at the end of the choir whose entrance is embedded with columns having capitals in serpentine.
Tel Mairie (Town hall): 05 55 09 30 02
Erected by the Viscount of Limoges on the grounds of Saint-Martial abbey, Château-Chervix Tower (end 12th century – beginning 13th century) is the only visible remains of the château that burnt at the end of the Middle Ages. It is considered one of the loveliest Romanesque keeps in the Limousin and the one in the best condition. Rectangular (9m x 13m), it measures 32m in height
To see : from north to south, three flat buttresses supporting two arcades with perfect arches. To the west, two buttresses confining two blind arcades resting on a communal corbel. The entrance (7m in height) gives access to the second of four levels.
Tel Mairie (Town hall): 05 55 00 80 45
Issaure Tourist Office: 05 55 00 89 91
Direct access to the Route by the A20. Town of character and staging village, it was the seat of a castellany and monastery in the 11th century. The old houses are covered in roof stone slates. Dupuytren and Mirabeau’s homeland.
To see : Sainte-Croix church (12th century, refurbished in the 15th), with its portal decorated with porcelain medallions, abbey residence, Trois-Anges hotel - former 16th century post relay where Pope Pius 7th slept in 1816, bridges and Adeline fountain
Tél. : 05 55 00 94 33 (Tourism office board)
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Website : www.pierre-buffiere.com
Piégut (Puy Agut) has been in the Viscount of Limoges’ subinfeudation since the high Middle Ages. Originally on the site, there was a primitive wooden tower built on a hill, which was then replaced by a formidable castle composed of seven towers and a keep. Several walls are still standing, in particular the round keep (23m in height and 7m in diameter) known as the «Tour de Piégut».
Haute-Vienne Tourisme (CDT87)
17 Bis Boulevard Georges Périn, 87000 LIMOGES